What To Expect
With over 25 years of experience, we know how to individualize treatment for each patient. We do not believe that one-size-fits-all! Each person’s body and lifestyle is unique. We take the time to get to know our patients and strive to provide excellent, compassionate care from start to finish.
What We Do Differently
- We are different from other commercial weight loss clinics for several reasons. Most importantly, we are a physician-guided weight loss program. We provide one-on-one physician support to our patients. Our physicians can safely prescribe FDA approved medications to treat obesity when diet and exercise alone have failed.
- Our physicians are highly qualified and specialized; each has considerable experience in weight management.
- We are affordable. We don’t believe in over-charging patients and there are absolutely no hidden fees or contracts of any kind.
- We are proud to offer the convenience of receiving medications in the office if you choose. This eliminates the need to travel to a pharmacy.
- We have a 95% success rate*
- Over 25 years of experience and 80,000 patients.
What to Expect At Your First Visit
- Your Medical History - Your visit starts with collecting information regarding your medical history, including any medication you may be taking. It’s very important for your doctor to understand your overall health when prescribing a treatment plan.
- Physical Exam - One of our friendly nurses will check your weight, blood pressure, height, and other necessary vitals.
- Consultation with the Physician - You will then meet with one of our excellent board-certified physicians who will complete a physical exam and recommend a treatment plan for you. Our physicians will take the time to discuss all aspects of our program and answer any questions you might have.
- What Happens After the First Visit - A second consultation is usually scheduled for two weeks. This allows enough time to start your treatment, monitor your side-effects (if any), and be ready to discuss any concerns that you may have. Our physicians will continue to monitor you carefully during your time in the program. We care about our patients and your safety and comfort is our number one priority.
*Based on a healthy BMI among patients who correctly follow our program.
How Can I Continue to Get The Most Out of the Treatment?
Our physicians will continue to monitor your progress and adjust the program as needed. We ask that our patients follow all instructions provided during each visit and contact us with any concerns or questions that may arise. Our patients will benefit the most if they comply with the following suggestions:
- Read all information packets that our staff provides you. You will receive a sample diet plan and other useful packets of information on your first visit. Please read over these in order to ensure you are correctly following our guidelines.
- Dr. Rivas’ Books. Dr. Rivas has written several well-received books regarding weight loss. His latest book, Fat Nation Skinny Pills: Why Everything You Were Ever Told about Weight Loss Is Wrong, is a highly recommended e-book filled with practical tips for enhancing weight loss.
- Take the medications exactly as directed. Just as with any other medication, do not skip doses, adjust the medication on your own, or stop the medication without consulting a doctor. Try to take the medications around the same time each day. Certain medications are to be taken on an empty stomach. Taking this type of medication with food may drastically reduce its effectiveness. Consult your with a physician before taking any other medication with the treatment, you will be given a list of medications that may interact with treatment.
- Take advantage of B12 shots. We offer B12 shots in the office. Many of our patients find regular or occasional B12 shots to be beneficial. Ask a physician if a B12 shot is right for you.
- Set realistic expectations. It is common for weight loss patients to set unrealistic goals for themselves. A 2001 study from the University of Pennsylvania found that on average, overweight people set a goal of losing 32% of their body mass. That’s three times the amount needed to achieve better health. You may believe that you will not feel happy until you can fit back into your wedding dress or have the body of a supermodel. Unfortunately, that is setting yourself up for disappointment as these are likely impossible or very unhealthy goals for your current self. The goal of our practice is to make you look and feel the very best that you can right now. To sleep better, have more energy, increased self-esteem, and a lowered risk of serious weight related illnesses. Our goal is to help you gain control over your weight in order to improve your health and the quality of your life.
- Keep your scheduled appointments. We understand that life gets hectic and occasional appointment changes are necessary. However, in order to monitor your progress and continue your treatment, regular visits are required. We work very diligently to ensure that your appointments suit your schedule and do not take an unreasonable time out of your busy day. We try to keep follow up visits brief with minimal wait times while still addressing all of your concerns.
- Set aside your guilt and other negative emotions. Many of our patients feel a sense of guilt for their condition. They feel ashamed that they can’t control their weight with diets and exercise. They feel lazy, inadequate, or depressed. They may feel helpless and out-of-control. We do not believe that being overweight is any different from any other medical condition, and we treat it as such. We ask you to leave your emotions at the door and realize that you have a common medical condition that can respond very well to the right treatment! A proactive and positive approach is the best medicine!